Cardiac Development and Therapy
Stem cell, development, markers
1. Palpant, N. J. et al. Generating high-purity cardiac and endothelial derivatives from patterned mesoderm using human pluripotent stem cells. Nat Protoc 12, 15–31 (2017).
Overall Cardiac Development
1. Laflamme, M. A. & Murry, C. E. Heart regeneration. Nature 473, 326–335 (2011).
Statistics on Cardiac Disease and Heart Failure
1. Mozaffarian, D., et. al., (2016) Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2016 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 133, e38–360
2. CDC Stats on Heart Disease: https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm
Drug Testing and Analysis
1. Sharma, A., McKeithan, W. L., Serrano, R., Kitani, T., Burridge, P. W., del Álamo, J. C., Mercola, M., and Wu, J. C. (2018) Use of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes to assess drug cardiotoxicity. Nat Protoc. 13, 3018–3041
Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
1. Vutskits, L. & Xie, Z. Lasting impact of general anaesthesia on the brain: mechanisms and relevance. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 17, 705–717 (2016).
Review of Pediatric Pain Assessment
1. Cohen, L. L., Lemanek, K., Blount, R. L., Dahlquist, L. M., Lim, C. S., Palermo, T. M., McKenna, K. D., and Weiss, K. E. (2008) Evidence-based assessment of pediatric pain. J Pediatr Psychol. 33, 939–55– discussion 956–7
Membrane Potential Analysis
Biological Data Interpretation/Networks
1. Warde-Farley, D. et al. The GeneMANIA prediction server: biological network integration for gene prioritization and predicting gene function. Nucleic Acids Res 38, W214–20 (2010).
1. Chakraborty, S., Lakshmanan, M., Swa, H. L. F., Chen, J., Zhang, X., Ong, Y. S., Loo, L. S., Akıncılar, S. C., Gunaratne, J., Tergaonkar, V., Hui, K. M., and Hong, W. (2015) An oncogenic role of Agrin in regulating focal adhesion integrity in hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Commun. 6, 6184
Protein Proximity Labeling
1. Bar, D. Z., Atkatsh, K., Tavarez, U., Erdos, M. R., Gruenbaum, Y., and Collins, F. S. (2018) Biotinylation by antibody recognition—a method for proximity labeling. Nat Methods. 15, 127–133
Data That Can (But Won't) Be Used by Hospital Administrators
The Futility of Inane OR Dress Codes
1. Farach, S. M., Kelly, K. N., Farkas, R. L., Ruan, D. T., Matroniano, A., Linehan, D. C., and Moalem, J. (2018) Have Recent Modifications of Operating Room Attire Policies Decreased Surgical Site Infections? An American College of Surgeons NSQIP Review of 6,517 Patients. J Am Coll Surg. 226, 804–813
Why Checklists Shouldn't Be Followed Blindly and Aren't Always the Answer
1. Tamburini, F. B., Andermann, T. M., Tkachenko, E., Senchyna, F., Banaei, N., and Bhatt, A. S. (2018) Precision identification of diverse bloodstream pathogens in the gut microbiome. Nat Med. 4, 278